Thursday, December 29, 2011

Acknowledgements

As we finish up what is basically my 2nd full year as an iOS developer, I'd like to take a moment to plug some people who have helped me to become the programmer that I am today.

Big Nerd Ranch

I attended the Cocoa Bootcamp several years ago intending to do Mac programming.  Haven't quite followed up on that yet, but what I learned served me quite well on iOS.  Their latest iOS book is worth checking out:

iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (2nd Edition)

Jeff LaMarche and Dave Mark

I truly don't know how I would have gotten started without Beginning iPhone Development.  I remember downloading SDK betas and being totally clueless, and it really wasn't until this book came out that I was able to get anywhere.  The success of my career is in no small part attributed to their efforts with this book.  They recently released a brand new version:

Beginning iOS 5 Development: Exploring the iOS SDK

Jeff's blog is iPhone Development, and Dave's is here.

Rob Napier

After I got past the book and started working on real world stuff, the Big Nerd Ranch mailing list turned out to be invaluable, due in no small part to the participation of folks like Rob.  There are a number of practices that I still follow religiously to this day that originated with Rob's advice.  He was instrumental in helping me to get "over the hump" in my Cocoa learning curve.  He has recently released a book that I haven't had time to read yet, but am eagerly looking forward to:

iOS 5 Programming Pushing the Limits: Developing Extraordinary Mobile Apps for Apple iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

Rob's blog is Cocoaphony.

Mark Dalrymple

Mark is another Big Nerd Ranch mailing list participant who was tremendously helpful during my early days.  He gets a two-fer mention here, as his Objective-C book is quite good:

Learn Objective–C on the Mac (Learn Series)

And his newest effort:

Advanced Mac OS X Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide

Mark's blog is Borkware.

Thank You

Training and Googling can only get you so far.  At some point, there will simply be gaps in the available information, and thus roadblocks to accomplishing your goals.  My hat is off to authors like these who can spend the time to learn the new stuff, and then do a great job of conveying it to everyone else.  And I have tremendous gratitude for the folks who participate in public forums providing considerable amounts of support for free.  It is in their honor that I have spent so much time answering questions on iPhone Dev SDK, and it is due to their efforts that I have the knowledge and skill required to do so.

So I would like to express my sincerest thanks to all of the trainers, authors, forum posters, bloggers, support engineers, and anyone else who has helped me along on my journey.

No comments: