Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sail Away Vacay

Teri and I are freshly back from vacation. This is the first time we have taken a long trip that was not somehow related to business or family. We've done a few weekend trips here and there, but most of our trips are piggy-backed on business trips, or with or to family. We decided to take a cruise, which is also a first for both of us.

After soliciting recommendations from numerous friends and coworkers, we decided on Carnival. After looking at the various cruise offerings, comparing prices and duration, we decided on a 5-night Caribbean cruise. The ship would depart from Miami, and then stop three times; Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay (we learned this is pronounced "key"), and Nassau, Bahamas.

I'm glad we took a cruise, and I will probably take cruises again in the future, but for the most part this really is not my kind of vacation. For one thing, I think we picked a bad time of year. The heat and humidity were just miserable, and greatly reduced my inclination to be outdoors (which isn't too strong to begin with). I never saw any numbers, but I would estimate low-mid 90's with upwards of 80% humidity. It was brutal.

When it comes to common activities, I'm not a good fit. People go to the islands for beaches and swimming. After some scary experiences in both oceans, I have pretty much sworn off natural bodies of water (though I am a decent swimmer). I have zero interest in laying out to catch some sun. So aside from enjoying the scenery, there isn't a whole lot of appeal there. Other common activities include a lot of drinking, and shopping. I don't drink, and a lot of the shopping opportunities were to buy liquor. Or jewelry, which I also don't have an interest in. Some other time, perhaps, but I'm not buying jewelry when I've got a car for sale in the interest of paying off debt.

This is not to say I didn't have any fun, merely pointing out that the primary reasons for cruising really don't have any appeal for me, so that left me with secondary forms of entertainment. Perhaps non-island cruises would be better for me. Or, frankly I really enjoyed just being on the ship, so I would probably do a cruise that didn't even go anywhere in particular, just meandered around for a few days. I did some poking around at other options, and cruises to Hawaii from California seem to require 3 or 4 days of sailing each direction; that sounds more like it.

The iPhone has turned out to be my most-used camera ever, and I took over 300 pictures on this trip. So over the next few posts, I'll try to detail each day of the trip, along with providing some trip pictures.

No comments: